Saturday, January 17, 2009

Learning to Be Stronger

In light of the depressing list of things that ED has stripped away from my life, I decided to write a list of the small gains (no pun intended ha ha) that I have made through having my ED.

1. I have a better knowledge about nutrion in general and what the body needs to function properly.

2. I have learned that society has created a lot of misconceptions about food, and that at least one in every 5 people believes them.

3. I understand what components comprise a healthy nutrious meal: healthy fats, proteins, carbs, a fruit, and a veggie.

4. I am learning to work through and forgive my past, no matter how painful that journey has been.

5. I have become more diligent about exercise (although right now this one is sort of backfiring on me).

6. I am learning how to express emotions.

7. I believe that God has showed me His purpose for my life, and I want to follow this dream wholeheartedly. My plan is to eventually graduate from a University with a PhD in psychology and a background in nutrition. From there, I would like to work in a facility and help counsel girls who are struggling with anorexia.

8. I have developed a huge heart for every single girl out there who is battling the same battle that I am.

I am sure each and every one of you girls can write down at least of couple of positive achievements that you have made. Isn't it funny how even though our ED sets out to destroy us, God can still extract beauty from the broken pieces. Here's a verse today that I receive daily in my mailbox that I think directly speaks to my situation with my ED. For those of you who aren't in the faith, I pray for you anyways. Please don't think that I am trying to force my faith onto you. I'm not. You don't have to read this, it's just that my faith has been a huge part of my recovery process. Though long and hard and despite the fact that I am still in the throes of my ED, I know that I can't let go of God....because He hasn't let go of me yet.


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge cloud of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.
~ Hebrews 12:1, NLT

1 comments:

Jess January 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

Great list! Thanks for following my blog :) Everything you wrote was 100% true. Have a wonderful day :)
<3 jess :)
xxx