Saturday, February 7, 2009

Habitat for Humanity!!!

Insert Mega-Giant Yawn here--

Wow, what a day!! I cannot believe how much fun I had today! It was amazing!!

My day started out bright and early at 5:30 this morning. After shaking out the sleep-dust from my eyes, I hopped in the shower, got dressed and prepared for my first time ever volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. I woke up a little earlier than I could have, because I had to finish wrapping up my package for my V-DAY buddy!!! But no worries, it got to the post office safe and sound and the goodies are on their way!! Sorry I was a little late girl! I cannot wait for you to see what I got you!!

Then I ate a quick breakfast and drove off to the construction-site.
I had no idea what to expect. The last time I volunteered it was with my church and we ended up doing some landscaping work and built a wall out of concrete slabs. Oh yea, you know how strong I am with my muscles!! haha
So I didn't know exactly if I was going to be painting, or installing cabinets, or pulling weeds or what. I just knew that I was going to be building something and it was going to be on a house.

Well when I got there, I saw this medium-sized two story house. It was almost a complete skeleton on the inside, and no carpeting or plaster had been installed yet. The guy who was in charge gave us a brief introduction of everything and then we all gathered in prayer before beginning our mission. I thought that was really cool.

Then he pulled our group aside and explained that we were in charge of putting the siding on the house.
Um, excuse me, what? What did you just say?! And just how am I supposed to do this? Do I look like a carpenter to you?!!!

Eventually I got over the shock and pitched in.

We worked for 8 hours straight today and let me tell you, I did it all! I helped measure siding, hauled it around, lifted it, and even nailed it in place. And I've never even used a hammer before! Did you know that hammering is really, really HARD? At first I was completely helpless and couldn't even get a nail to stick in the board. My whole group was laughing at me and joking around. My group leader said that I am probably the first and only person he has ever seen to use a hammer with both hands!! Hey, I think it's way easier! Plus you don't risk losing a thumb in the process. But by the end of the day I was almost a pro at it and left everyone in the dust....Naw just kidding :)

By about noon we broke for lunch which was catered by this nice gal down by the local donut shop. She brought everyone mondo chili-cheese dogs and two boxes of glazed, frosted, and sugared donuts. I was glad that I had thought to pack a lunch for myself ahead of time because I know that I wouldn't have been able to eat the meal. Then I would've starved and have hurt my body by doing so and that wouldn't have been good.

Towards the end of the day everyone was really tired and all to glad to help clean up the worksite before heading home. In total, we (just my group) paneled a good fourth of two sides of the house, up to the windows and I also did a little nailing inside as well. The owner of the house also worked with us and was really kind and sweet and appreciative of our help. We might even be thinking about going back in a little bit to help him with interior or exterior painting. But only if it's warm. It was FREEZING outside today and we all had a tough time working through the cold. But I'm still glad I helped. It was something I will never forget.

After working, I headed over to the rec center for a quick, fast-paced workout. Unfortunately ED was hounding me today about not getting exercise but I was able to push him aside while I was working, and just enjoy being with my good friends and having a good time. I also needed to warm up and get my blood flowing again, BAD! Then it was off to Safeway for some Greek-yogurt (the kind I bought at VC yesterday was not that good and tasted like a cheap imitation), home for a filling dinner, and an evening spent with my family watching episodes of Cosby and lounging in front of the fireplace.

Bliss.

Today's eats!

Breakfast
1/2c Oatbran
1 TB Peanut Butter
Cascade Lemon Yogurt
D'anjou Pear

Lunch, eaten at the construction site
2 Slices No-Salt Bread
3 oz of Tofu
Sliced Orange Pepper
Granny Smith Apple
Zen Soy Capucchino (I know I spelled that wrong)

I didn't really get to eat a snack today, although I did pack an Apple Pie Larabar just in case I needed the extra energy.

Dinner
Vegetables sauteed in Veggie Broth
4 TB of Hummus
5 Slices of Wheat Melba Toast
Granny Smith Apple
Oikos Plain with Cinnamon

6 comments:

Kiki February 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM  

I love volunteering! It's one of my resolutions to volunteer more. It makes me feel so important and accomplished! Glad that you had such a great time and pushed ED aside. Much love

P.S. Thanks for all your support on my blog!

Sophia Lee February 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

yay good job volunteering! it's nice to step out of our comfort zone and do something active for others for a change.
you're doing great~

Jenny February 8, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

hey girl!
I just wanted to thank you so much for all of the amazing comments you've left me - you are such a sweetheart..they always make me day :)

that's so wonderful that you are volunteering for habitat for humanity! It sounds like you learned some fabulous skills (though I don't think you are planning a future in house building, correct me if i'm wrong ;)!!) but regardless it is for an amazing cause and you are such an angel for contributing your time!

have a beautiful rest of the day my dear! <3 xo

Jaime February 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

hey lady! :) you always leave me such kind words-- you are such a doll! thank you! that is SO AWESOME you volunteered today! wow-- you are amazing!!! i dont blame you for not wanting to eat what everyone else was eating-- it would have been hard for me to, and to be quite honest i prefer how "healthier" foods feel inside of me-- they give me lots more energy and vitality! :) have a wonderful rest of the day! xoxox

Kiki February 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

Haha, an apple! An apple with cheese, una manzana con queso. The pic of it was mysteriously deleted!

Em February 10, 2009 at 11:58 AM  

girl! I just got your secret cupid gift and I LOVE IT!!! thank you sooo much, its all too perfect and everything that I like! i cant wait to use the plate and try the peanut butter!